Bentota is a charming coastal town situated in the southwest region of Sri Lanka, nestled between the Indian Ocean and the Bentota River. It is a serene paradise with its pristine beaches, lush greenery, and clear azure waters. For tourists, the town offers a range of activities, from relaxing on the beach to indulging in water sports like jet skiing, kayaking or snorkeling. One of the biggest attractions, however, is the sea turtle hatchery where visitors can witness the hatching of baby turtles and learn about the conservation efforts to protect these precious creatures. Aside from beaches, Bentota is also home to several historical temples and gardens, such as the Brief Garden, which was once the personal garden of renowned Sri Lankan artist Bevis Bawa. In addition, there are several luxury resorts, restaurants, and spas that cater to those looking to unwind and indulge in some leisurely activities. All in all, Bentota is a must-visit destination for anyone seeking an escape in the lap of nature while enjoying a range of cultural and recreational activities.
Food in Bentota
As a tourist visiting Bentota, Sri Lanka, exploring the food scene is a must. The city offers a range of delectable dishes that cater to all types of taste buds. Here are some dishes and food joints you must try during your stay:
1. Seafood: The coastal town of Bentota is known for its fresh seafood, and you can find it in abundance in restaurants and cafes across the town. You must try the local favorite, buttery jumbo prawns, also known as the "Bentota butter prawns." The other must-try dishes include crab curry, calamari, and fish ambul thiyal, which is a sour fish curry made with goraka (a souring ingredient).
2. Rice and Curry: Rice and curry, also known as "kiri bath," is a staple dish in Sri Lanka. It is a mix of rice, vegetables, and curry, usually served with papadum, chutney, and sambal. You must try the crab curry and dhal curry, which are popular here.
3. Roti: Sri Lankan roti is a type of flatbread that is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. You can have it stuffed with vegetables, meat, or eggs. It is a popular street food in Bentota, and you can find it almost everywhere.
4. Hoppers: Hoppers, or "appa," are a type of crepe made with rice flour and coconut milk. They are crispy on the edges, with a soft center. You can have them plain or stuffed with egg or meat. You can find hoppers in many restaurants in Bentota.
5. Street Food: The best way to immerse yourself in the local food scene is by trying out the street food. You can find food vendors selling snacks like "vadai," or deep-fried lentil fritters, and "achcharu," a type of pickled fruit salad.
Some of the top food joints in Bentota that you must visit include:
1. The Villa Cafe - this restaurant is known for its seafood dishes and the scenic view it offers.
2. Amal Villa - a place where you can have the perfect Sri Lankan breakfast, along with hoppers, roti, and curry.
3. Golden Grill - a popular seafood restaurant that serves a variety of Sri Lankan and international delicacies.
In conclusion, Bentota has a lot to offer when it comes to food. From mouth-watering seafood to spicy Sri Lankan curries, there is something for everyone. So, make sure to explore the town's food scene when you visit, and don't forget to try out the local street food.
Amazing places to visit in Bentota
Bentota is an idyllic seaside town located on the southwestern coast of Sri Lanka. It is a popular tourism destination for its gorgeous beaches, scenic lagoon, and colonial-era architecture. For tourists visiting Bentota, there are plenty of exciting things to see and do.
One of the must-visit attractions is the Bentota Beach, which is renowned for its soft white sands and crystal-clear waters. This stunning beach offers an array of water sports activities, including jet skiing, windsurfing, and snorkeling. Visitors can also enjoy a leisurely boat ride on Bentota River that meanders through mangrove forests and dotted with small islands.
Another popular attraction in Bentota is the Lunuganga Estate, which once belonged to the famous Sri Lankan architect, Geoffrey Bawa. This expansive garden estate boasts of meticulously cultivated lawns, orchids, lily ponds, and sculptures that are now open to the public as a museum.
For anyone who wants to experience traditional Sri Lankan culture, the Kande Viharaya Temple is an excellent place to visit. This sacred temple is one of the largest Buddhist temples in the country and has a massive white Buddha statue that dominates the landscape. Tourists can also see the traditional Kandyan dance performances, which are held every week.
Finally, nature lovers can visit the Brief Garden, the private estate of Bevis Bawa, younger brother of the architect Geoffrey Bawa. This garden showcases an excellent collection of indigenous plants, sculptures, and art installations. There is also an open-air gallery devoted to the local artists' work.
In conclusion, Bentota offers tourists an excellent mix of relaxation, nature, and cultural experiences that are unique to Sri Lanka. With its sublime beaches, awe-inspiring architecture, and vibrant culture, Bentota is truly a must-visit destination.
Best time to travel
Bentota, Sri Lanka is a beautiful destination that attracts tourists from all over the world. The best time to visit Bentota depends on what type of vacation you're looking for. If you're seeking sunny skies and warm weather, the peak season to visit is from December to April. During this time, the weather is dry and the temperatures are perfect for soaking up the sun on the beach.
However, if you're a budget traveler, then the best time to visit Bentota would be during the offseason, which is from May to September. During this time, the weather may be a bit more unpredictable, but because there are fewer tourists around, you'll likely be able to save significantly on accommodation and other travel expenses.
Overall, Bentota is a lovely destination year-round, with its stunning beaches, rich cultural heritage, and exotic wildlife. No matter when you decide to visit, you're sure to come away with unforgettable memories. So whether you're looking to escape the cold weather back home or simply want to experience the wonders of Sri Lanka, there's no better time than now to plan your dream vacation to Bentota!