Ahungalla is a beautiful coastal town in Sri Lanka that is a popular destination for tourists. With its stunning beaches, clear blue waters, and lush greenery, this town offers a perfect escape for those seeking relaxation or adventure. Visitors can enjoy water sports like snorkeling, diving, or windsurfing, or simply soak up the sun on the pristine beaches. The town also boasts several cultural attractions, such as the beautiful Sri Lanka Sea Turtle Conservation Project and the impressive Kande Vihara Temple. With its beautiful scenery and rich culture, Ahungalla is definitely worth a visit for anyone traveling to Sri Lanka.
Food in Ahungalla
Ahungalla is a beautiful coastal town located in the southern province of Sri Lanka. The town is surrounded by the ocean and lush greenery, making it the perfect place for tourists to indulge in some of the most delicious culinary delights of Sri Lanka.
One of the most popular dishes that tourists must try in Ahungalla is the Sri Lankan Rice and Curry. This dish is a blend of flavors that is sure to leave your taste buds craving for more. It consists of a plate of rice accompanied by several different curries, including vegetarian and non-vegetarian options. The curries can be mild or spicy, depending on your preference.
Another must-try dish is the Kottu Roti. This dish consists of chopped up pieces of roti bread mixed with vegetables, spices, and meat. The dish is cooked on a large steel plate that clangs incessantly, giving it a unique and appetizing sound.
For seafood lovers, the town of Ahungalla has plenty to offer. Freshly caught fish, prawns, and crabs are available in abundance in local markets and restaurants. The seafood is typically cooked with Sri Lankan spice blends that add a unique flavor to the dishes.
To round off a meal in Ahungalla, tourists can indulge in some authentic Sri Lankan desserts such as Watalappan, a coconut custard made with jaggery and spices, or Kiri Peni, which is sweetened milk with cubes of agar jelly.
Overall, Ahungalla offers a wide range of options for tourists looking to explore the flavors of Sri Lanka. Be sure to visit one of the many local eateries, and savor the mouth-watering dishes that this beautiful coastal town has to offer.
Amazing places to visit in Ahungalla
Ahungalla is a charming coastal town located in the southwestern coast of Sri Lanka which has been gaining popularity among tourists due to its scenic beaches, natural beauty and cultural richness. Here are some must-see attractions in Ahungalla:
1. Ahungalla Turtle Conservation Farm - This is a great place to visit especially for nature lovers who want to learn about the endangered species of sea turtles found in Sri Lanka. The conservation farm takes care of the eggs that are laid in the nearby beaches and ensures that the baby turtles are released safely back into the ocean.
2. Madu River - This is a beautiful estuary where the river meets the ocean, and it is a great place to go boating and bird watching. This area is also known for its mangrove forests, and you can explore them via canoe tours.
3. Brief Garden - This is a beautiful garden located near Beruwela that belonged to a renowned Sri Lankan artist Bevis Bawa. Here you can find some of the most beautiful plants and trees from around the world, along with sculptures and artworks created by the artist himself.
4. Kande Viharaya Temple - This is a Buddhist temple that is believed to have been founded in the 18th century. The temple houses a large statue of Lord Buddha and offers a panoramic view of the surrounding landscape.
5. Ahungalla Beach - This is the main beach in Ahungalla, and it is known for its long stretch of golden sand and clear blue waters. The beach is perfect for swimming, sunbathing, and surfing.
In summary, Ahungalla is a beautiful place to visit in Sri Lanka, and there is no shortage of places to explore and sights to see. Don't miss out on these attractions during your visit!
Best time to travel
Ahungalla, a beautiful coastal town situated in the southern part of Sri Lanka, is a popular tourist destination among travelers from around the world. The best time to visit Ahungalla largely depends on one's preferences.
If you are a beach lover and enjoy soaking up the sun, then the best time to visit Ahungalla is between January to April. During this time, the weather is typically hot and dry, making it perfect for lounging on the picturesque beaches of Ahungalla, such as the popular Ahungalla and Balapitiya beaches.
If you are interested in experiencing the local culture and traditions, then visiting Ahungalla during the Esala Perahera festival, which usually takes place in July or August, would be ideal. This colorful and vibrant festival is celebrated to honor Lord Buddha and includes a parade of brightly decorated elephants, drummers, and dancers.
For those who prefer cooler temperatures, the best time to visit Ahungalla is between May to September. During this time, the weather is a bit milder and less humid, making it ideal for outdoor activities such as exploring the lush greenery of the nearby Madu River or visiting the popular Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery.
Overall, Ahungalla is a popular tourist destination that can be visited year-round. However, depending on one's preferences, different seasons may have their advantages, and choosing the right time to visit can help you make the most of your trip.